Plastic surgery as a graduation gift?

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerhead
:S I will quite happily leave the house without makeup on, what's that got to do with anything?

Well your like one of those sometimes i dress like a boy, sometimes i dress like a girl. So It's really not a valid comparison.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
That's a hygiene issue.
There's nothing superficial about that. There's a difference between bathing everyday, maintaining neatly coiffed hair, etc. and putting on makeup, lashes, etc. I think you understood that though.

Yeh it was just extreme sarcasm.

user79

Well, I do believe there are varying degrees of making the best of yourself. Putting on some lipstick and mascara to enhance your natural beauty, or wearing a push-up bra to get cleavage for a nice dress, is not in the same boat as going under full narcosis and getting sliced up and butchered like an animal in an OP. (Whenever I see on TV what happens during breast OPs I always think it looks like they are stuffing a turkey! lol)

I don't think we can paint everything that humans do to look good with the same brush. It is much more nuanced. I would also make a differentiation between someone who for example gets a tatoo lasered off, and someone who gets a face lift.

Mainly, the issues I have with this, and this was the point I was trying to make before: Women are actively engaging in and perpetuating the vicious circle that is spun by how society views what women should look like, and making themselves the victims of such pressure. Not only are we as women subjected to intense scrutiny by men, we are also judged equally and if not more by other women, and the more we alter our bodies, the more likely we are to lose touch with what is reality.

I mean, what do you say to the next generation of women when we are aging and we've all had face lifts and boob jobs and nose jobs. What ever happened to the human body? How will we recognize ourselves, and see our surroundings?

I guess this is pretty deep but it's something I've given a lot of thought. And by the way, I also have a small chest and I hate my nose, it is not straight and has a slight hook in it, so I've also thought about surgery when I was younger to get my nose fixes. But now, I would never do it. It's what makes me, me! And I am fine with that, and don't care if other people don't like it. There is a way to find self-confidence within yourself that is independent of what we look like.

little teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Well, I do believe there are varying degrees of making the best of yourself. Putting on some lipstick and mascara to enhance your natural beauty, or wearing a push-up bra to get cleavage for a nice dress, is not in the same boat as going under full narcosis and getting sliced up and butchered like an animal in an OP. (Whenever I see on TV what happens during breast OPs I always think it looks like they are stuffing a turkey! lol)

I don't think we can paint everything that humans do to look good with the same brush. It is much more nuanced. I would also make a differentiation between someone who for example gets a tatoo lasered off, and someone who gets a face lift.

Mainly, the issues I have with this, and this was the point I was trying to make before: Women are actively engaging in and perpetuating the vicious circle that is spun by how society views what women should look like, and making themselves the victims of such pressure. Not only are we as women subjected to intense scrutiny by men, we are also judged equally and if not more by other women, and the more we alter our bodies, the more likely we are to lose touch with what is reality.

I mean, what do you say to the next generation of women when we are aging and we've all had face lifts and boob jobs and nose jobs. What ever happened to the human body? How will we recognize ourselves, and see our surroundings?

I guess this is pretty deep but it's something I've given a lot of thought. And by the way, I also have a small chest and I hate my nose, it is not straight and has a slight hook in it, so I've also thought about surgery when I was younger to get my nose fixes. But now, I would never do it. It's what makes me, me! And I am fine with that, and don't care if other people don't like it. There is a way to find self-confidence within yourself that is independent of what we look like.

if everyone look like you i think plastic surgeons would go out of bussiness
smiles.gif
i get what you are saying and your correct there are people out there that are so insecure that they just dont know when to stop and they end up looking.. well. like michal jackson lil kim or joan rivers.. moderation is the key to all things that can spiral out of control.. what if a lil surgery help someone to feel confident and makes them happy should they still fall in the catergory of not really careing if someone else likes or approve of there decision to do what makes them happy. even if it ment to fix there nose they hate that stares back at them when they look in the mirrior

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by little teaser
if everyone look like you i think plastic surgeons would go out of bussiness
smiles.gif

LOL I was thinking the same thing. It's pretty easy to say, "I would never get surgery, this is what makes me, me!" when your beautiful. I'm sure you have a forum full of people who would love to be as unattractive as you are
smiles.gif

user79

Trust me, I am not perfect physically, and like I said, I really do not like my nose, and like you, I also have small boobs that do not suit my tall frame, so I would also have a reason to undergo surgery if I felt it was absolutely necessary.

MACHOMULA

I have an appoint right now to have a consultation to have my boobs and nose done. I think it's whatever floats your boat. I think some people can get obssessed with it, but aren't we all obssessed with something?

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHOMULA
I have an appoint right now to have a consultation to have my boobs and nose done. I think it's whatever floats your boat. I think some people can get obssessed with it, but aren't we all obssessed with something?

Not to the point I allow it to affect other parts of my life, like alienating people or going into extreme debt.

Brianne333

I don't know that I understand why people are arguing about it, because really - we all have the right to a different opinion, no matter what it is! But from the first post, I think the topic was more about plastic surgery as a grad gift, rather than plastic surgery in general.

In my personal OPINION I don't agree with that notion. If someone wants to have it done, that's fine, go right ahead! To each their own (I wouldn't do it and I have my own feelings on the matter, but that's just me). But, I guess that I feel like graduation presents were supposed to reflect the road ahead of us and into our adult years. It almost feels like the emphasis is on the wrong thing there - "Hey congrats on making it through school and getting an education! Now have some bigger boobs!". It's not the plastic surgery part that gets me, it's the *timing* I guess.

makeupgal

I don't see anything wrong with a little tweek, as long as you don't end up looking like that "Cat Lady" person. That is downright scary! Even after 2 pregnancies, I still wear the same bra size that I did 20 yrs. ago.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianne333
It almost feels like the emphasis is on the wrong thing there - "Hey congrats on making it through school and getting an education! Now have some bigger boobs!". It's not the plastic surgery part that gets me, it's the *timing* I guess.

<shrug> How is this really any different than giving someone a new car? Or a trip to mexico to party for a week? At least with a boob job, she'll feel prettier. Which will improve her self confidence. Which is valuable in a lot of things.

charismaticlime

I think getting plastic surgery at a young age is a terrible idea. I have a deformity where I'm actually missing a muscle in my body, and ever since I was a kid, I've actually considered surgery. My parents and my doctor always told me that I'm better without it, but I could never get through to thinking the way they did. I'm quite glad I survived my teenage years without having to go through with surgery, because now I realize that to go under the knife while your body is still growing isn't the smartest idea. Not only that, but I've grown to love and accept myself just as I am. If no one else likes the way I look, I could care less. It's like they say - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

eulchen

the doctors offered my family that i get my ears operated so i wouldnt look like a car with open doors and get laughed at/psychological problems in school. i was 6 by then. i dont think anybody with only school under their belt has a real grasp of life and the necessary experience to decide on such things (there are excemptions i know, but speking in general) with 17/18 im just out or still in the end of puberty. not only does the body still change, but the mind will also make quantum leaps in development the following years. if you really want it, wait some time and then reflect on the subject again.

i understand if there are people that feel the need to do something because it bothers them a lot for a long time, but i really get frustrated at the notion "a little nip/tuck". its a permanent alteration of your body. this is something serious. if you want it, go for it, but be sure and be confident by doing it. i know there are people whos live has changed dramatically for the better after an op, but i do not understand why so many women who i would classify as natural beauties feel the urge to alterate themselves because they arent "perfect" the way they are. why are we supposed to change to something "better"? as charisma said "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

and id like to add that im very happy that the mentality of nip/tuck being something normal most people do hasnt yet reached the area i live in.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulchen
if you really want it, wait some time and then reflect on the subject again.

We live in a "on demand" society though. Pretty tuff when your radio is spamming you with, "Lunch lipo specials." And financing for as little a $99.00 a month, with a free limo ride to and from surgery!

Quote:
i understand if there are people that feel the need to do something because it bothers them a lot for a long time, but i really get frustrated at the notion "a little nip/tuck". its a permanent alteration of your body. this is something serious.

Most cosmetic surgery can be reversed. Especially if it's an implant. It just costs some more money to have a revision done. So it's not necessarily a change that someone has to live with for the rest of their life if after surgery, they change their mind about it a few years down the road.

Quote:
but i do not understand why so many women who i would classify as natural beauties feel the urge to alterate themselves because they arent "perfect" the way they are. why are we supposed to change to something "better"? as charisma said "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Everyone has flaws. Some people learn to love them, others hate them. And regardless of your station in life, there is always competition between other people. So while a average or unattractive person thinks, "why does she need surgery, she's amazing, i'd kill for her body/face!" The, "natural beauty" to use your words, is comparing herself to other "natural beauties." And may want to alter a part of her she finds lacking, to make herself prettier than the other girls. So she can date the hotter/more successful guys, or feel more confident, or whatever the reason is.

Quote:
and id like to add that im very happy that the mentality of nip/tuck being something normal most people do hasnt yet reached the area i live in.

It really depends on where you live. I've visited or have known friends who see getting themselves all "glammed up" as putting on foundation and a little eye liner. But typically, the majority of the girls that live around them just dont bother with that sort of thing. So there isn't the pressure to look your "best." A clean face and your hair pulled back into a pony tail is good enough, since thats what all the girls do.

But if you come to like Hollywod or Beverly Hills, OC, etc. You see lots and lots of very put together women. Especially as you get into the wealthier areas. So the pressure to look amazing is a lot higher. Designer lables and several hundred dollar shoes/purses is the norm. So as a result, the demand for surgery to fix the little things is going to go up. Since you can't just "dress better" to look better than all the girls around you, or you can't put yourself together in the morning and stand out, because everyone is dressed well and put together. So the next step in looking better, is cosmetic surgery. Make sure you have an attractive nose, a small chin, perfectly white teeth, overflowing clevage, etc.

little teaser

i think if the girl wants a boob job and her parents agree and want to pay for it.. why not, sure she may be young and could wait untill she is older but it really doesnt matter how old you are, tomorrow isnt promise to anyone so live and enjoy life while you still can instead of worrying about the what ifs..

glam8babe

omg! how old is this girl? well i want a boob job but not till im around 21 when the body is fully developed. i would never have one now as im only 17 and my body hasnt stopped growing. She sounds like one of those girls who are gunna get more and more surgery and her parents are encouraging her! JESUS CHRIST what are they gunna do when she gets married? give her a new brain? its very silly gettin a boob job as a present. I onlyt want a boob job for personal reasons not to 'look good' and try and be better than everyone.

eulchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
omg! how old is this girl? well i want a boob job but not till im around 21 when the body is fully developed. i would never have one now as im only 17 and my body hasnt stopped growing. She sounds like one of those girls who are gunna get more and more surgery and her parents are encouraging her! JESUS CHRIST what are they gunna do when she gets married? give her a new brain? its very silly gettin a boob job as a present. I onlyt want a boob job for personal reasons not to 'look good' and try and be better than everyone.

thats another aspect youve brought up here... if she gets it as a present, will she appreciate it as much as somebody who waited, saved up and paid for it themselves?

User49

What a crappy graduation gift! Think of all the mac make up you could buy with the money it costs to have your boobs all cut up and bruised out!! Ewww! Or even go on holiday! Fake boobs?:eek2: Where's the good in that?
rant.gif

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulchen
thats another aspect youve brought up here... if she gets it as a present, will she appreciate it as much as somebody who waited, saved up and paid for it themselves?

So you dont appreciate your Christmas/Birthday presents because you didn't pay for them right?