Plastic surgery as a graduation gift?

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Have you ever seen a woman with a sagging a cup? It's not pretty. :/

Yeh i've seen some the the b4/after pics of somr of those girls who were like flat as a board, but had these little saggy like pouches hanging on their chest. So sad =( You can tell they got a little bigger/stretched from childbirth, but then went back to being really tiny, and just had a lot of leftover skin.

Small boobs can sag too. =(

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Also what about people who got teased for having huge ears, or a huge nose, or a huge chin or whatever? You know who those kids were. They all had nicknames at school, and people made a POINT to make them aware that they looked different. So surgery may be very good way to eliminating a constant reminder of something that was painful for a big part of their life.

But I was teased as a child for being Asian, and I strongly disagree with people getting work done to eliminate any signs of their race.

If you know what you're doing going into it and don't have unrealistic expectations, like bigger boobs will give me a perfect life, I don't have as much of a problem with it. I do have a problem, though, when people rework themselves to be someone completely different (like that show on MTV that had regular people trying to look like various celebrities). It seems very sad to me that some people can't find anything to love about their body or face that they have to become someone completely different.

I don't think you should base your self-esteem on how you look, though. It's one thing to want implants or wear concealer to look better, but people should love themselves no matter what.

I'm going to be honest and admit I don't exactly understand the difference between a breast cancer patient getting implants than anyone else. On one hand, I understand wanting return to "normal" but aren't they just trying to conform to some normal someone else set up?

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I don't think you should base your self-esteem on how you look, though. It's one thing to want implants or wear concealer to look better, but people should love themselves no matter what.

We shouldn't, but we often do.
Attractive people are often judged better by first impression, they make more money, get promotions more easily, have an easier time finding a date, score better on interviews, etc. than people deemed "unattractive".
Self esteem is a layered thing, and looks are part of it, no matter what. :/

Beauty Mark

True, but (and maybe this is unfair, because I know I am pretty) I get the impression from some people that their looks are what are keeping them back and that's it. Sometimes, I think good looking people just have confidence that the not so good looking people lack and that's what makes them more attractive.

YMMV, but I've seen enough perfectly beautiful people on the outside who lack so much confidence or zest for life that they're really no better looking than Britney Spears during her unkempt period

*Stargazer*

Quote:
I do have a problem, though, when people rework themselves to be someone completely different (like that show on MTV that had regular people trying to look like various celebrities). It seems very sad to me that some people can't find anything to love about their body or face that they have to become someone completely different.

Those people have serious psychological issues. Many times the only surgeons that will work on them are sketchy, at best.

Dark_Phoenix

Quote:
I'm going to be honest and admit I don't exactly understand the difference between a breast cancer patient getting implants than anyone else. On one hand, I understand wanting return to "normal" but aren't they just trying to conform to some normal someone else set up?

Insurance does not cover most plastic surgery that is not done to restore function. i.e. they'll more likely cover a cleft lip surgery than a breast augmentation after cancer. Maybe some of the people who have reconstructive surgery just want to go back to a sense of normalcy, of how they used to look and try to put what happened behind them.

My initial burn and laceration treatments (including skin grafts) were covered, for the most part. All of my scar revisions have NOT been covered. I could have left them and spent the rest of my life living with them... but my family has the means to pay for the surgeries so I took advantage of my situation.

flowerhead

Quote:
I find it highly ironic that on a board dedicated to makeup people are indignant about superficiality.

Oh, please. Putting on some eyeliner and mascara is in a completely different boat from getting some bones in your face shaved away. It's not that black and white darling

Shimmer

Riiiiight.
And how many people do it because it makes them feel good about themselves?
How many people do it because 'it just feels better'?
How many of us won't leave the house without makeup on? Or liner and gloss?
How many of us won't leave the house without primping somehow?

Why do we do it?

We want the affirmation and validation of having people acknowledge our looks.
If we were concerned with cleanliness and hygiene, we wouldn't be buggered about it would we? We'd walk around like Pentacostal or fundamental Mormon women, barefaced with moisturizer and unkempt brows. Make-up, hair dye, nailpolish, etc., push up bras, padded panties, Spanx, high heels, etc., none of that is relevant to personal hygiene or cleanliness. It's all done to make us look better and to boost our confidence and self esteem.

Don't deny the superficiality of it, because it's quite blatant as the, (no pun intended), nose on your face, darling.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrolite
Haha! Well this tale of graduation boobies just seems so stupid and extremely shallow.
jerkit.gif
How about using that money to go towards education or a new place, or a holiday to Europe with friends, or something useful? Wow, new boobies for graduation..."Thanks mum and dad! Now I can face the world with confidence and there is nothing I can't handle with these new boobies of mine."

She's probably still getting all of the above.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Frost
Insurance.

This isn't always correct. In fact, it's often not, based on the prevalence now of reconstructive surgery after a mastectomy.

Insurance varies from employer to employer, and provider to provider.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerhead
There are varying degrees of superficiality though.

And? How does that affect anything? Flat refusal to go anywhere without makeup on is just as unreasonable as getting plastic surgery early on.

Raerae

Quote:
Riiiiight.
And how many people do it because it makes them feel good about themselves?
How many people do it because 'it just feels better'?
How many of us won't leave the house without makeup on? Or liner and gloss?
How many of us won't leave the house without primping somehow?

Why do we do it?

We want the affirmation and validation of having people acknowledge our looks.
If we were concerned with cleanliness and hygiene, we wouldn't be buggered about it would we? We'd walk around like Pentacostal or fundamental Mormon women, barefaced with moisturizer and unkempt brows. Make-up, hair dye, nailpolish, etc., push up bras, padded panties, Spanx, high heels, etc., none of that is relevant to personal hygiene or cleanliness. It's all done to make us look better and to boost our confidence and self esteem.

Don't deny the superficiality of it, because it's quite blatant as the, (no pun intended), nose on your face, darling.

Exactly Shimmer.

It's all the same. Just because you can "take some stuff off" doesn't mean it's any different than having surgery. It's all done to improve our self image, make us feel more confident, and improve the quality of our lives.

I'd think more people get nose jobs than get breast augs, only because with your breasts, there are easy non surgical alternatives to improving our bustlines. There is a REASON that pushup bra's are Victorias Secret's BIGGEST sellers. Realistically, if yuor saying getting a breast aug is stupid, but you own a bra that does ANYTHING with your bustline (making it more symetrical, smothing, giving better shape, adding cup size, whatever) your being hypocritical. If you were not conscerned with the appearance of your bust, you'd just let gravity take it's course.

Raerae

Quote:
And? How does that affect anything? Flat refusal to go anywhere without makeup on is just as unreasonable as getting plastic surgery early on.

Yeh, you should just not shower, or wash your clothing eigther. It's so superficial to want to smell clean.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Yeh, you should just not shower, or wash your clothing eigther. It's so superficial to want to smell clean.

That's a hygiene issue.
There's nothing superficial about that. There's a difference between bathing everyday, maintaining neatly coiffed hair, etc. and putting on makeup, lashes, etc. I think you understood that though.

little teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerhead
Haha you are really running out of an argument...

"why" does it even have to be an argument? if you are against plastic surgery its simple, just dont get it. like i said in my post its a personal decision what may be wrong for you may be right for someone else. vice versa
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

Shimmer has a point about makeup. I go out without it as often as I do (it's more about artsy painting for me than covering up), but there are many women who are deathly afraid of going outside of the house without a full face of makeup or are unreasonably upset when they get a pimple.

When you're basing your life so much on your looks, whether you have to paint it on every day or you go under the knife, that it spirals into craziness (won't leave the house, irrational breakdowns, absurd beliefs that your life is going to be perfect for having flawless skin, bigger boobs, whatever) is when I have issues with people and believe that they should take the money they're spending on the product or surgery and get themselves the help they need. If you simply want bigger breasts or the latest shade of lipstick, I don't have a problem with it as long as you haven't convinced yourself it's like a life or death matter.

mzcelaneous

Quote:
I went from a B to a D cup from high school until now and I developed curves. Getting implants is unsettling, because your body may still not be settled.

When I graduated from high school, I'd rather have the money for any kind of surgery for bigger necessities for colleg: computer, book money, spending money so I wouldn't have to work, etc.

Same thing happened to me. The booby fairy came by to visit me after high school. It was my graduation gift from her!
rofl.gif