MAC - Sonic Chic Discussion

Ruffage

So, I finally typed up a long article looking at MAC and it's marketing in the MAC Chat forum:

http://specktra.net/f165/mac-hype-ou...sumers-105942/

Probably nothing we don't already know, but can be interesting to some. You might want to read it bit by bit instead of in one go. Discussion and feedback appreciated.

And for Sonic Chic, I'm probably getting Dainty, as my staple blush from Quo is running a bit low.

newagetomatoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
I LOVE Parrot! This is one MAC item I couldn't live without. I am glad I have a backup. Well, I probably wouldn't pay $ 80 for it... But who knows...
tong.gif

I'd probably be right there with you buying it. lol It just looks so gorgeous over Sea Me s/s.
th_drool.gif

aimee

swiss chicas theyre at the counters and all sooooo pretty but pretty shimmery in unnatural indoor light (more than other blushes) color payoff is great ....i got pleasantry (posted swatches) ...i would love to get all but im broke haha

elegant-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage
Haha, I'll take that opening if it's still available
greengrin.gif

Regarding how much of MAC is hype: This is a topic I have wanted to address in detail for a long time. I didn't, because this community is based on this love of MAC cosmetics and it would be a rather unfavourable topic, because seeing how everybody loves MAC here it would be easily taken as an accusation. Plus as someone (student of Social Sciences) who is very interested in marketing and other social topics I can get very long winded, even more so than I am usually.

Please note that I am not attacking the community, or anybody personally. It surprises me to see how so many view the word "hype" so negatively, and feel it necessary to re-establish the cohesiveness of the community, when "hype" is just a marketing technique at which MAC (NOT Specktra) is extremely good and for which MAC (again, NOT Specktra) is responsible.

You HAVE hijacked this thread for a personal agenda & grand-standing. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with Sonic Chic. I've seen this in so many arenas in life...you're the intelligent student & the rest of us are just stupid uneducated lemmings that have fallen prey to a corporations marketing schemes. Baloney!

Your words:
Please note that I am not attacking the community, or anybody personally. It surprises me to see how so many view the word "hype" so negatively

Part of the definition of hype refers to something done by trickery or swindle & deception.

I think we are smarter than that. And, MAC has every right to market their product in a free society.

Oh, and I buy my makeup simply because I LOVE color & beauty - not because something is LE or someone else likes it - NO other reasons. I hope that blows a hole in your theory.

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage
Haha, I'll take that opening if it's still available
greengrin.gif

Regarding how much of MAC is hype: This is a topic I have wanted to address in detail for a long time. I didn't, because this community is based on this love of MAC cosmetics and it would be a rather unfavourable topic, because seeing how everybody loves MAC here it would be easily taken as an accusation. Plus as someone (student of Social Sciences) who is very interested in marketing and other social topics I can get very long winded, even more so than I am usually.

Please note that I am not attacking the community, or anybody personally. It surprises me to see how so many view the word "hype" so negatively, and feel it necessary to re-establish the cohesiveness of the community, when "hype" is just a marketing technique at which MAC (NOT Specktra) is extremely good and for which MAC (again, NOT Specktra) is responsible.

Some of the ladies posting here have been fans of MAC for a long time, and may not have been as affected by the excitement, but from what I have seen in the forums over the years it seems otherwise. Some personally may not feel that they are generating hype, and I'm not saying that they are, because hype does not come from individuals, but through a group of individuals, triggered by specific marketing moves.

If I go into too much detail, this would go off topic. So I will make a new thread in the MAC chat forum. It seems like a good time to launch an in depth discussion.

EDIT: The thread would be posted sometime tomorrow or the day after. I'm trying to consolidate all the information on MAC and its marketing into a coherent read and it's getting kind of...long. I've warned you all :p.

I don't see what this has to do with Sonic Chic...
I don't know what your actual agenda is for being in these forums, but we are here to discuss our hobby.

We are all here because we love MAC.
Sure, they are good marketers, they are a huge company... they wouldn't survive unless they were.

I just don't see the point in all of this posting.
I definitely don't believe that people on this forum buy things because someone else thinks its nice or just because its LE...

Why does anyone buy anything?
Because we want too... not because someone tells us we should.

Specktra members buy things because we love makeup as an art form and enjoy MAC as a company for being able to help us fulfill our creative outlook.

It's a hobby we all have, for some it's a career.

Posting things like this just make people feel bad for enjoying their hobby.
Good for MAC for being such effective marketers.
Regardless, I'm still buying the products.

Winthrop44

Ya know, while I consider myself to be fairly resistant to hype I will admit I've bought a few items for just that reason -- Lucky Green e/s, Alima mineral makeup and Bobbi Brown Pink Raspberry pot rouge come to mind. Lucky Green was a complete bust for me, but I'm still using and loving Alima MMU and the Bobbi Brown blush, so at least for me some things do live up to the hype and I honestly don't think I would have stumbled onto them without it. I don't think it's so bad at all to listen to what other people like with an open mind, especially those with your skintone/eye color or those who have liked things similar to what you've liked in the past....
th_dunno.gif

elegant-one

There's a new swatch of Pleasantry in the swatch thread. Its pretty. Reminds me of a mix of Dress Camp blush & Sweetness BPB...possibly

Did you like that one in person Audrey?

purrtykitty

While I do agree that perhaps Ruffage's wording was unfortunate, I can appreciate the attempt at helping others who are trying to limit their purchases from a collection. The general principles outlined could be helpful for someone who is genuinely on a budget. I know we all joke about budgeting, and I guess those of us who don't have to are extremely lucky. But I also agree that this particular forum is neither the time nor place to discuss MAC "hype" which is why I'm glad that the extended discussion of the topic now has it's own thread.

Now back on topic...I still really want Gentle, but I'm waffling back and forth between Pleasantry and Dainty. I'm leaning a bit more towards Dainty because I already have blushes that lean more towards the blue-pink side. But we'll see...if Pleasantry is unique enough, I just may cave because it is a color that I will truly use, especially in winter (I stick to blue-pinks in winter since I get so pale).

clotheswhore

I'm most likely getting Pleasantry, Gentle, Warm Soul, and Love Thing.

Is Dainty similar to Shy Beauty BPB? Coz I have Shy Beauty and it barely shows up on my skin. If they're the same then I will definitely pass on Dainty.

glam8babe

i think i'll only be able to get 2 of these... which ones would you guys reccommend for NW20-NW25 skin?
i love peaches and pinks!

purrtykitty

Personally, I don't think the peach is all that great from this collection, so I'd stick with the pinks - Gentle and either Pleasantry or Dainty (the two I'm wrestling with myself).

darkishstar

(Pleasantry and Dainty....
smiles.gif
)
Maybe I will try a blue-based pink?

Yes, I think Parrot is absolutely beautiful, but that was one of the colors that got that unfortunate "hype" attached to it.
greengrin.gif

elegant-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
i think i'll only be able to get 2 of these... which ones would you guys reccommend for NW20-NW25 skin?

That's a hard one, because I think you could pull off several of the colors! But I think the ones Purrtykitty mentioned would look lovely on you
yes.gif

rbella

Wow! I'm glad I saw that swatch. I think I can cross pleasantry off the "maybe" list. It looks waaayy to pink for me in that pic.

Right now I am just debating on Gentle and Dainty....

**sorry the whole "hype" thing got started b/c of my waffling..."

AudreyNicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
There's a new swatch of Pleasantry in the swatch thread. Its pretty. Reminds me of a mix of Dress Camp blush & Sweetness BPB...possibly

Did you like that one in person Audrey?

I did. The swatch looks MUCH brighter than it was on me (NW15). It is the brightest of the bunch, but it doesn't look as bright on the pot, or swatched on my hand as Sweetness BPB. I'm sure if I layered it on, it would be similar. I was immediately drawn to it, because I love bright pink blushes, but honestly, it's not that unqiue. Beautiful, yes. Unique, not really.

Shadowy Lady

I'm trying to stay away from this thread so I don't get tempted and only buy one of these: Merrily!
But now I want Pleasantry and Gentle as well
ssad.gif

AudreyNicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by clotheswhore
I'm most likely getting Pleasantry, Gentle, Warm Soul, and Love Thing.

Is Dainty similar to Shy Beauty BPB? Coz I have Shy Beauty and it barely shows up on my skin. If they're the same then I will definitely pass on Dainty.

IMO, it is similar. Dainty has a tiny bit more pigment than Shy Beauty, but if you layed SB a bit, you would get a similar effect. I am not getting Dainty because I have Shy Beauty and Alpha Girl Beauty Powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
Personally, I don't think the peach is all that great from this collection, so I'd stick with the pinks - Gentle and either Pleasantry or Dainty (the two I'm wrestling with myself).

I agree with Purrtykitty. The peach one (Nuance) is sort of a weird peach. It is pretty warm and orangey on me and I am only one shade lighter than you. It was an immediate no for me as soon as I swatched it. If you have Shy Beauty BPBP or Alpha Girl, I think you can skip Dainty. I really like Pleasantry and Gentle, though I love Merrily as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
I'm trying to stay away from this thread so I don't get tempted and only buy one of these: Merrily!
But now I want Pleasantry and Gentle as well
ssad.gif

Those are the 3 I want too!
smiles.gif

clslvr6spd

I will only be getting Merrily, Love thing, & Gentle. I am still unsure about Pleasantry.

I wonder how Love thing compares to Fab & Ablaze blushes? I am sure someone knows.
winks.gif

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbella
Wow! I'm glad I saw that swatch. I think I can cross pleasantry off the "maybe" list. It looks waaayy to pink for me in that pic.

Right now I am just debating on Gentle and Dainty....

**sorry the whole "hype" thing got started b/c of my waffling..."

You're allowed to waffle - that's what this forum is here for. I was waffling myself between Pleasantry and Dainty...but based on review/opinions, I'm leaning strongly towards Dainty.

Do waffles sound good to anyone else right now?
lol.gif