MAC - Sonic Chic Discussion

xoleaxo

i just came back from MAC.. and WOW, i ended up liking the colors i didn't like.. i went in thinking i was gonna check out dainty, nuance and warm soul. dainty was too light and didn't show up on me.. nuance and warm soul were nice but kinda in the same family as sunbasque and peachykeen, which i already have. i ended u getting gleeful. it's pretttttyyyy. it looks so dark in the pan but it's gorgeous buffed on! i also got the 181 but am having some buyer's remorse
ssad.gif
it's cute & soo soft, but im thinking i should have gotten the 188 to apply my blush lightly instead.

alwaysbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
the one that came out with novel twist (last fall) was a SE. i actually think it was mislabeled as 181SE, when it should've been 182SE, seeing as how the 181 wasn't out yet. all SE brushes are smaller versions of the full size, and are machine-made, making them inferior in quality to the full size brushes, which are all hand-made.

the one coming out with this collection is the 181. it is a regular brush, which is hand-made of finer qualities.

gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyNicole
Ok, let me try and clarify for you
smiles.gif
Last summer, the Nordstrom anniversary collection was called Novel Twist. Available in that collection was a pearlizer and mini kabuki set, which featured the 181se. It was only available at Nordstrom. The SE (special edition) brushes are machine made, as opposed to hand made. While they are still decent quality, they are more affordable because of the ability to produce them quicker. With the Sonic Chic collection, they brought back the 181, but the one with this collection is handmade, and thus the same quality as the MAC fullsize brushes. Escentially, it is the same size and shape as the SE, but the bristles are much softer and of better quality. That is why there was such a drastic price increase (the 181se with the pearlizer set was $24.50 and the 181 with Sonic Chic is $30). The 181 brush with Sonic Chic is limited edition, and that's where the LE comes in
smiles.gif
Hope that helps some!!

Ok, i get it now...thanks a lot to both of you.
Now the question is....which one do you guys recommend me to get the small or large kabuki.
Thanks again ladies!

AudreyNicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbella

Ok, i get it now...thanks a lot to both of you.
Now the question is....which one do you guys recommend me to get the small or large kabuki.
Thanks again ladies!

Depends what you want it for. If you are looking for something for all over the face, get the 182 which is bigger. If you want to consentrate on the cheeks, get the 181
smiles.gif

iheartangE

Okay I know this is completely and totally blasphemous BUT-

I didn't go to MAC today! I had a doctor's appointment and was going to go either before or after that, but before I was feeling sick (overworking myself on the treadmill because I'm a genius) and then after...I don't know I just could not convince myself to go!

I've lost my mind, haha! I will definitely be heading to my nearest MAC counter very soon, though. Probably tomorrow, or maybe I'll even wait until (gasp!) the weekend.

I'm going to get two of the three that I need to try: Gleeful, Gentle, and Warm Soul. I've decided to dupe Dainty with Orgasm (Nars) and honestly, I'm betting it will come out with that Mineralize line later because it seems to be on everyone's list!

hr44

I went and bought 5 of these!!!! You really have to go in to see what looks good on you though.

Two of them (which I had thought I would be purchasing) looked EEWW on me.
Well Dainty didn't even show up and Gleeful ended up looking gray muddy on me. =( Kinda sad.

BUT let me tell you LOVE THING looks amazing on my skin tone (mix of c40 and c5).

I love the colors I bought because they look gorgeous sheer or intense!

Purchased:
Nuance
Love Joy
Gentle
Pleasantry
Love THING (FAVORITE!)

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamYOURUs
I think you should and don't worry, I am NOT an enabler.
tong.gif
I just think that they are workable. They are different in terms of color but with the right amount applied, they will look different. I think they both kinda have that pinkish undertone that is why they look so similar.

Yeah I might be moving out there in a year or so. My bf's family lives in Voorhees (S. Jersey) and hes in NYC. But when we get married, I will be moving out there. Just don't know when yet.
cutey.gif

Noooooooooooooo you ARE NOT! Voorhees is 15 friggin minutes frm here. Omg! We are so going to the Cherry Hill Mall together! Hurry up and marry him so we can hang out lol
yahoo.gif
dance.gif

GlamYOURUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
Noooooooooooooo you ARE NOT! Voorhees is 15 friggin minutes frm here. Omg! We are so going to the Cherry Hill Mall together! Hurry up and marry him so we can hang out lol
yahoo.gif
dance.gif

Hahaha wooo hoooooooo
yahoo.gif
th_DANCE.gif
winkiss.gif

I think he should hurry the hell up with a ring.
lol.gif

Omg I can't wait, it will be soooo much fun to hang out with you!!!!
drinkup.gif
pompom.gif
th_happy1.gif

imperfectbeauty

So i went in checked out the blushes today!! Soooo pretty!! I ended up getting Gentle which actually shows up on me and is the perfect pink. I love it!!! My MA contoured with i think nuance or one of the more warm colors then put Gentle on the apples of my cheeks. I dont really do that technique that often but it's nice. The other one that caught my eye was i believe Love Thing...i think it was one of the darker ones. I can't remember!! lol. But it was sooo pretty and was one of the other ones that caught my eye. I dont even use that color regularly but i am willing to try it because it's gorgeous!!

Trista

OMG so I love these blushes so much that I was unable to splurge on electroflash. I bought Love Thing, Gentle, Dainty and Pleasantry. Earlier this evening I applied Love Thing lightly with the MAC 187 brush and buffed it with the kabuki brush 183. Damn it looked hot!!
I'm now maybe NC25 (since my tan is fading) so I applied Love Thing lightly but it is such a gorgeous berry color!! I love it sooo much. My friend, who's an NC40, also wore it and it looked gorgeous on her! So I'm on a Love Thing kick right now!

I think Gentle is gorgeous, Dainty is a soft pink and for me it's a pretty day blush and Pleasantry is soooo pretty!
So I'm very pleased with my purchases.
yahoo.gif

hr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbella

what the differences of nc to c color foundation?
I know I know....i ask the dumbest questios, seriously im new to this whole color of foundations so i dont know.
I regret getting the free shipping....damn, now i have to wait longer.

Honestly not much, just a bit warmer or in my case more yellow. I use NC as well but what was matched to me (NC42-NC43 is a bit dark)...

I'm going back in a couple weeks to this MUA I was talking to about this issue so we can match a better shade.

But my C mixing has been working well for me because I have quite a bit of yellow happening in my skin. =)

Anemone

I'm getting interested in Warm Soul! It looks nice and I have no blush that isn't a pink, red, or coral, etc. I want a brown one!
winkiss.gif
I'll have to go and try it as soon as possible.

xoleaxo

ok, my buyer's remorse is gone.. i LOOOVE LOVE LOVE the 181! its soo soft! it makes a huge difference in the way my blush looks vs. using just 129 or 187

allThingsGirl

NC40 here

I wanted to buy only 2-3 and I ended up with 5.
ssad.gif

I got Merrily, Love Joy, Love Thing, Gleeful and Gentle.

I skipped the lighter ones altogether becaues they kinda looked crepey on me and you could kinda see it sittinig on top of my skin -- not really buffed into it well at all. I much prefer my Shu Uemura lighter blushes.

I really love Gentle -- I thought it was going to be similar to True Romantic but it is really quite different. True Romantic is a bit cooler than Gentle.

Love Joy was a nice staple type color -- but it's weird, this one also looks a little red on me.

The other three -- well, basically I couldn't decide between them, although even though they look different on the hand or in the pan, for some reason, they are all really similar on my face. I think I need some more time to try these out and see if they are really worth keeping or swapping a couple away. That's Merrily, Love Thing, and Gleeful. The lighting was super bad in Nordstroms and it was really difficult to tell. Hopefully in natural light it will be easier.

Love Thing actually looked the least "natural" on me -- which is not necessarily bad, just depends on the look you are going for.

Anyway, I really think you need to TRY THESE ON YOUR FACE, because for me, they were pretty different on my hand vs. my face.

Susanne

As I had a huge haul yesterday with Cool Heat, Electroflash and Sonic Chic, I picked up two blushes: Pleasantry and Gentle. I Love Pleasantry!!
drools.gif
This was made for me!
winks.gif
Maybe I will pick up Love Thing as well if I visit the pro store in two weeks.

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by allThingsGirl
NC40 here

I wanted to buy only 2-3 and I ended up with 5.
ssad.gif

I got Merrily, Love Joy, Love Thing, Gleeful and Gentle.

I skipped the lighter ones altogether becaues they kinda looked crepey on me and you could kinda see it sittinig on top of my skin -- not really buffed into it well at all. I much prefer my Shu Uemura lighter blushes.

I really love Gentle -- I thought it was going to be similar to True Romantic but it is really quite different. True Romantic is a bit cooler than Gentle.

Love Joy was a nice staple type color -- but it's weird, this one also looks a little red on me.

The other three -- well, basically I couldn't decide between them, although even though they look different on the hand or in the pan, for some reason, they are all really similar on my face. I think I need some more time to try these out and see if they are really worth keeping or swapping a couple away. That's Merrily, Love Thing, and Gleeful. The lighting was super bad in Nordstroms and it was really difficult to tell. Hopefully in natural light it will be easier.

Love Thing actually looked the least "natural" on me -- which is not necessarily bad, just depends on the look you are going for.

Anyway, I really think you need to TRY THESE ON YOUR FACE, because for me, they were pretty different on my hand vs. my face.

YES, I agree with trying them on my face. I was set to get Merrily and Love Thing, but ended up getting Gleeful, which is basically a lighter version of the two, plus the other 2 would be too dark for my NC30, so if I ended up using Merrily and Love Thing with a lighter hand, there would be no point you know? It would just be like using Gleeful then. Gleeful is basically a lighter version of Love Thing for me. And Gleeful + Love Joy would be a lighter version of Merrily for me.

So why get them?
I'm glad I passed on Merrily and Love Thing.

So girls, please try them on your face! I also have been hearing that on darker skin tones Merrily and Love Thing were pretty much the same.
Those 3: Gleeful, Merrily and Love Thing are similar. If you're fairer, I say stick to Gleeful, and deeper skin tones go for Merrily OR Love Thing.

Shadowy Lady

Ok, so I was a good girl and got only one of these: Pleasantry. I was going to get Gentle originally but I tried it and I also tried Pleasantry (second on my list) and Pleasantry looked so much better on me.

I may go back and get Lovejoy though, I'm still debating that one.

GoldenFairy

I LOVE merrily I purchased a back up! I also got 7 others. I love these blushes - they don't look cakey at all. Much better than those fafi blushes that cling to all the dry bits of skin!

elegant-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winthrop44
Okay elegant-one, you said this all the way back on the 4th of July (I remembered but had to do some diggin' to retrieve it, lol) and you know what? You were exactly right IMO!
thmbup.gif

aw thanks
winks.gif
I'm just sooooo glad that you love it
yes.gif