Makeup artist against MAC/ MAC pushing independant artists out of the industry

Cruella

I honestly can't see why people are getting so hysterical about this topic. People are taking it way too seriously. No one has been personally insulted so why take offense? I'm sure that the corporate big-wigs at MAC aren't crying themselves to sleep on their wee pillows over that website
winks.gif

Now, knock it off before I take away your makeup and make you sit in the corner!
smiles.gif

Shawna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemichelle
I don't know about everyone else, but where I live people swarm the Clinique counter. The way some of you guys do make-up with all the colors, I can honestly say I've never seen someone like that in my real day-to-day life. I guess people around here stay to the natural look. That's my personal preference also, but I wouldn't feel like myself with 10 or so eyeshadows on me and all that other stuff. I'm not a movie star and don't need to look like one.

MAC to me shows off more out there kinda make-up and I don't need anything like that.

You're right, I don't need to look like a movie star. But I am mostly a stay at home mom, and I gotta tell you I love when people look at me and say "wow, you have a kid?" It is a way for me to keep my own identity as "shawna" rather than "graham's mommy" I have worn mac for years because it doesn't bother my ultra sensitive skin, but it has been the past 2 years that I really got back into it. I look forward to new collections because it is something just for me. It doesn't involve my husband or child (well, it does when he gets into my MU, but that's another story) It is something for me and me alone. If I want to glam it up and look movie-starish, mac is the way to go. I am saddened that people are upset about the practices of the corporation, but I am sure other companies out there are just as bad, and one wouldn't have to dig too deep to find controversy. As for me, I am happy buying mac, and I will continue to do so. Until my hubby cuts me off
winks.gif

PrettyKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leppy
If a few people expressing an opinion that you don't agree with sours the whole site for you then it would be impossible to keep you happy.

I don't care if someone else doesn't have the same opinion... But like Juneplum said:

Quote:
what bothers me is that this IS a mostly mac lovers group so if someone starts to bash the product and make fun of us because of our love for the product, they should not be surprised to see us all rise to it's defense.

(I copy this sentence because it sounds like nobody understand me when I try to write something in english by myself)

Shawna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
(I copy this sentence because it sounds like nobody understand me when I try to write something in english by myself)

Aww, I understand you perfectly PK. Of course, the people I work for are from Montreal so I am used to the accent whether it is written or spoken. I think you speak English really well.

As for what Juneplum said, yeah, I don't know why we are having to defend our love of MAC. I mean, that's how we all found this place right?

anuy

the way i see it, people have passion for certain items. for me, it used to be boybands and now it's MAC. i don't need to justify my <3 to anybody. if my obsession seems 'pathetic' then so be it. i don't think it's pathetic and thats all that matters.

MACreation

THE INSANITY OF IT ALL.........so what if girls like makeup, it's not like we crush it and sniff it...damn, relax biaaaches stop being mean to us specktra girls
ssad.gif

UUmmmm...ok??

"MAC is great for MUA wannabees at this point.,,,Again, this is just my opinion, as I am sure there are many out there who will argue with me and think that they are more bomb diggity than ever...."

GreekChick

I agree with the MAC defense but i also agree with the fact that they release their products way too fast.....but thats normal seeing that they have to satisfy the customer demands....I love MAC nonetheless.MAC POWER!

MAC addict

I am new to MAC...is MAC a backstage makeup brand?

..I'VE TRIED MOST OF THEIR EYESHADOW AND I THINK ITS THE BEST I'V TRIED!

aziajs

Well, yes and no. There is a consumer line and a pro line. And both are used by professionals.

Bass-0-Matic

MAC is mainly focused on the consumer aspect of marketing and was used a lot by professionals in the MA industry. However, after Estee Lauder bought the company, MAC has been under cutting the actual artists who have to work harder to get the same jobs. They send out free teams of sales associates to cover fashion week and other jobs as long as they have exclussive rights to do all of the makeup and are credited for it. A lot of free-lancers in inner circles are giving up using and purchasing MAC products because they feel that MAC is not doing their areas justice by sending teams with little to no experience and are taking money from them. There is much more to this issue than a few sentences. Essentially it is used a lot backstage but there are a growing number of professional artists who are banding together to effectively boycott MAC and not use it.

Wattage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass-0-Matic
MAC is mainly focused on the consumer aspect of marketing and was used a lot by professionals in the MA industry. However, after Estee Lauder bought the company, MAC has been under cutting the actual artists who have to work harder to get the same jobs. They send out free teams of sales associates to cover fashion week and other jobs as long as they have exclussive rights to do all of the makeup and are credited for it. A lot of free-lancers in inner circles are giving up using and purchasing MAC products because they feel that MAC is not doing their areas justice by sending teams with little to no experience and are taking money from them. There is much more to this issue than a few sentences. Essentially it is used a lot backstage but there are a growing number of professional artists who are banding together to effectively boycott MAC and not use it.

Really? This is the first I have heard of this. Are there any other MAs who could possibly comment on this?

TIA
smiles.gif

Bass-0-Matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattage
Really? This is the first I have heard of this. Are there any other MAs who could possibly comment on this?

TIA
smiles.gif

I just wanted to add that I love the MAC that I own, and I am not an MUA. I found a very long thread here at this forum:

http://p082.ezboard.com/fmakeupandre... D=7896.topic

It is many pages long, but if you take the time to read it, it answers a lot of questions. there are also many different threads on the forum that answer the same questions.

mspixieears

Hey Bass-O-Matic, I'm reading the thread now and given my personal social beliefs, wow, I have to say I'm really shocked...it's not right for corporations to do that to freelancers, or to anyone who is independent. Bummer.

I say that as an artist, not a makeup one. I'm kind of feeling a bit guilty about having gorged on so much MAC of late, having started to read the thread quoted above.

SMMY

Wow, after reading that whole thread in the forum, just shocked at how shabby the MUAs have been treated. I imagine it's all Estee Lauder driven. I hate to say, it but I hope the MUA's succeed in their boycott.

Bass-0-Matic

I agree with what you guys have written. I love MAC so much, but it hurts me when I read about their business practices. The boycott is mostly to try and get them to change their ways, not to run them out of business. If I were to become a MUA, I would feel obligated to not use MAC and not suggest it to clients. But I will continue to use what I have and be happy with my color selection.

giz2000

Unfortunately, that's the way the business world works...if a company can get results (details are not important, only the bottom line) by using cheaper (or free) labor, then that's what they'll do.