What do you remember about the 80s???

gigglegirl

I'm remembering more stuff:
TV Shows: Under the umbrella tree, Fraggle Rock
My brother had a Gizmo doll from some movie (Gremlins?)
Now again this may be 90s--that Pogo Ball (mine was purple and pink and they looked like this
smiles.gif

http://www.pogostickusa.com/pogo/ima...ogo%20Ball.jpg
How about Skip It (put your leg in the plastic hole, get the Skip it to swing around and you looked like a goof going down your street?)

Okay this is far too much fun but I have to go study for my final tomorrow! Eeek!

ArsenicKiss

Original NES, with Duckhunt, the pad for the olympic games
Kids' Cartoons
My Teddy Ruxpin
My Little Pony
Hair Metal
Jelly Sandals
Slouchy Socks
Slab Bracelets
Those jelly bracelets
Rainbow Brite, I totally wanted to be her.
Strawberry Shortcake
The Lois and Elephant show

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer
I was born in 1974, so I remember all of the 80's. It was a really strange decade!

On the lighter side:

Flashdance
Footloose
parachute pants
Members Only jackets
Panama Jack tshirts
twist-a-beads
rubber bangles
Garbage Pail Kids
jelly shoes
leg warmers
mall hair
blue eyeshadow
neon everything
heavy metal hair bands
non-freaky Michael Jackson
Huey Lewis
Hello Kitty
the Jheri curl
Solid Gold
Betamax vs VHS
MacGyver

And on the more serious side:

AIDS
the Atlanta child murders
end of Iran hostage crisis
Reagan assassination attempt
Iran-Contra
space shuttle Challenger explosion
Black Monday stock market crash
Pan Am 103 (Lockerbie)

Footloose is a movie that was good. I love the Kia car commercial spoof of the solo dance sequence!! When someone pours water over him while he is sitting on the chair...too funny.
th_LMAO.gif
I remember the news stories as well..

imoutofit

Wow, this thread took me back to the good old days of Aquanet, dripping wet jerry(sp) curls, neon everything, and when TGIF was still worth staying home for. Heheh, do any of you guys remember the music video for "We Are the World"?

Hilly

It was hot to wear black bicycle shorts with the flourescent strip UNDER a jean skirt. with your LA Gears of course
winks.gif

Or you could have worn your keds!

Addicted2Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Newbie
Hands Across America-both standing on the street and participating, and the song that went along with it.
friends.gif

We did this at my elementary school and we had to learn the song in music class.

Wow, this really brings back memories, I am quite fond of the 80's

That was when Saturday morning cartoons were awesome (Rock N' Wrestling, Ghostbusters, Kid Video, anyone remember those?)

Cartoons before school were cool too (Jem, Punky Brewster, Beverly Hills Teens, Moon Dreamers, Glow Worm, Rainbow Brite).

I had Pink Converse Sneakers and Punky Brewster Sneakers, "Layered" hair that would be considered a mullet today, lots of Jelly Bracelets (Glow in the dark too), and does anyone remember charm necklaces (they were different color plastic chains and you clipped all kinds of plastic charms on them like baby bottles, roller skates, I even had a toilet bowl lol)

Hilly

I loved Michael Jackson soooo much. I had the colorforms and the Barbie doll of him.
I loved him so much..that my parents had a MJ impersonator at my 4th bday party. I had such bad ADD that as he was singing to me, I got up and walked away lol. Circa...June 1987

Juneplum

oh and sweet valley high books! i was ADDICTED to those!!!!

gawd i really loved the 80's
sigh.gif
this is bringing back SOO many memories
lol.gif

captodometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
I'm remembering more stuff:
My brother had a Gizmo doll from some movie (Gremlins?)

It was Gremlins. 3 rules: Keep him out of the sunlight, never feed him after midnight, and whatever you do, don't get him wet
th_LMAO.gif

Switz1880

Do you guys remember charm bracelets? I loved those!

My favorite shows were, in addition to those already mentioned:
The Smurfs
Ghostbusters
Perfect Strangers
Alvin and the Chipmunks (can't believe it's being re-released)
Three's Company (partly the 70s but great nonetheless)
The Frugal Gourmet (even tho I was a kid)

Don't forget Debbie Gibson!

The McDonald's Menu song - I tried sooo hard to learn the whole thing!

Hilly

McDonalds Birthday Parties!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember when Chuckie Cheese was called ShowBiz pizza...and they had the same theme song. hahah. Those were the best birfdays! In Chicago we had a knockoff tho called "Ceaserland" from Little Ceasers.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

I had a birthday party at a skating rink... my moms friend made screen printed tshirts, they were hot pink and had a skate on the back and read
"Gennys 9th birthday! skating Plus!"

my aunt still has one! hahaha.

MACATTAK

Wow! You all pretty much covered it. The only things I can think of that I don't think I saw were colored socks slouched over your jeans, and wearing a T-shirt, and on the side you would wear a circle-type thing that you pulled the shirt through...don't know what they were called
smiles.gif

aquarius11

Judy Blume books - Superfudge, Double Fudge, etc.

Gosh, I loved those books! I wish we could go back in time because man, the 80's ROCKED (in a corny way)...best decade ever!

MACa6325xi

Cheap Gas
Only videos on early MTV
Cheap Broadway show tickets
Eddie Murphy on Saturday Night Live
Cheap clothes on Delancey Street
Sony Walkmans
Technic Turntables
12" remixes
Taana Gardner (Heartbeat)
Chic
Luther Vandross (Rest in peace Luther)
Blondie
Madonna
Cyndi Lauper
David Bowie
Iman
The Tom Tom Club
Culture Club ( I loved Boy George)
Diana Ross performing in the rain in Central Park
Diana Ross- I'm Coming Out
Vanessa Williams-She's the only Miss America I can remember
John Lennon's murder outside his home at The Dakota (Rest in Peace John)
Michael Jackson and his brothers at Madison Square Garden
Michael Jackson's Thriller (The Album)
A young and beautiful Whitney Houston
Seeing Marvin Gaye live for the last time at Radio City Music Hall (Rest in Peace Marvin)

gigglegirl

OMG I couldn't remember what the names to those dolls were! YES YES My buddy and kid sister....awwww. Those were my favs.

And Sweet Valley High---my god loved those books, then the tv show came out and though I was prob too young to understand a lot of what they were doing, I love it. Judy Blume....AHHH! This is AWESOME! THanks Hilly!!

As I was going to sleep last night, lol I remembered realllly young shows I watched when I was super young, what like 3-4-5 (this was in the later 80s) and not sure if it was just in Canada--Mr. Dressup. oh and of course Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...." LMAO!!!

Hmmm what else. Sharon Lois and Bram tv show and songs. Of course.
And I was absolutely enthralled with my Minnie and Me tape with cheesy ass songs but I had them memorized....

Oh and ^ I totally remember those little plastic shirt thingys, yep mine was lime green!! not sure if there was a point other than to really make sure you had something to remember the 80s by....
This is fun! lol