What do you remember about the 80s???

Briar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWaves
Yes, that's it. They did look like little jumper clamps. I think Briar knows too. I saw she posted something of the description too. Wow, that's it. I was starting to think it was just my imagination. LOL

I wonder what people would think if I wore that again. LOL

Yeah, that was me! I remember those feathered roach clips from the early '80s when they were given away as cheapie prizes at the county fair midway games, along with rock album art mirrors and misshapen glass soda bottles. What the heck was with that shit anyway?

I used to wear the clips in my hair (well, me and everyone else in our little red-neck of the woods).

ETA: Rick James LOL! Now there's a "super freak". That song was my 3rd grade teacher's favorite. That was 1978-ish.

SparklingWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar
Yeah, that was me! I remember those feathered roach clips from the early '80s when they were given away as cheapie prizes at the county fair midway games, along with rock album art mirrors and misshapen glass soda bottles. What the heck was with that shit anyway?

I used to wear the clips in my hair (well, me and everyone else in our little red-neck of the woods).

ETA: Rick James LOL! Now there's a "super freak". That song was my 3rd grade teacher's favorite. That was 1978-ish.

Oh, yes, I had a few mirrors in my room with rock groups on them & whiskey brands. I had a Garfield poster on my wall too.

I liked Rick James. He had a lot of personality and it showed in his videos. I love that glitter in his hair.

I think that song - Super Freak was in the 80's. (1981)
Street Songs & - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a great live version of that song too on You Tube.

Of course, M C Hammer put that same beat in the background of the song, "U Can't Touch This", later on. (1990)

Lndsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK

High top L.A Gears with Rhinestones on them.

Does anyone remember these two shows from the 80s :
"Small Wonder" With a Robot girl named Vikky, she slept in a wardrobe. Small Wonder
"Out of this world"
with a girl who could stop time with her fingers, and she talked to her dad thru a large crystal in her room?? hahaha

THANK YOU!!!
yahoo.gif
yahoo.gif
yahoo.gif
I have been trying to remember the names of these shows for sooo long!!! Every time I asked someone about them they looked at me like I was crazy and had no idea what I was talking about. I was beginning to think I had imagined them!

And LA Gears were my absolute favorite! And fluorescent spandex bike shorts!

Also this may not be from the 80's ( I cant remember exactly) but "You Cant Do That On Television" and that show that was like American Gladiators but it was kids?

captodometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lndsy
Also this may not be from the 80's ( I cant remember exactly) but "You Cant Do That On Television" and that show that was like American Gladiators but it was kids?

Both shows are Nickelodeon staples from the 80's. The gladiators for kids show was called Guts.

panther27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lndsy
THANK YOU!!!
yahoo.gif
yahoo.gif
yahoo.gif
I have been trying to remember the names of these shows for sooo long!!! Every time I asked someone about them they looked at me like I was crazy and had no idea what I was talking about. I was beginning to think I had imagined them!

And LA Gears were my absolute favorite! And fluorescent spandex bike shorts!

Yea I so remember all that!And stirrups and also jellies!!!

panther27

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KT*
Oh lord, I had a red pair of parachute pants.

I was just reminded of Garbage Pail Kids recently (no freakin' clue why) and I asked this girl I work with if she remembered Garbage Pail Kids and she looked at me like I had two heads. This must've not been popular everywhere as she'd never heard of them before. I had a stack of those cards, my mom thought they were the worst thing ever! I seem to remember the non-sticker side of them being part of a puzzle picture if you managed to actually collect enough of them to form the picture.

Someone mentioned Debbie Gibson and made me remember "Electric Youth" perfume and how "cool" the bottle was with it's corkscrew shaped tube on the inside.

Anyone else remember wanting/getting a keyboard? And who didn't at some point end up playing the melody line from "Push It" on their keyboard? P-push it real good!

Oh that Electric Youth perfume was nasty!!!Yech.I LOVED my Garbage Pail Kids cards I use to collect stacks of them!Does any body remember that Chill Out body spray?Showbiz Pizza with the bug juice there and I loved my sweet valley high books.Oh I miss the 80's

lizardprincesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl

I tend to get a lot of the 80s mixed with the 90s, I can't remember when certain things were in, lol the late 80s-mid 90s were a blur to me.

Me, too....me,too
winks.gif
lol !

Great thread, this is!

lizardprincesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer
Big Mac
Filet-o-fish
Quarter pounder, french fries
Icy Cokes, thick shakes
Sundaes and apple pies
graucho.gif

You are soo
cutey.gif
cutey! Your posts always make me smile....& I remember alot of what you do, from the 80's
winks.gif

Excellent thread to try to guess people's ages
winks.gif

lizardprincesa

Quote:
As I was going to sleep last night, lol I remembered realllly young shows I watched when I was super young, what like 3-4-5 (this was in the later 80s) and not sure if it was just in Canada--Mr. Dressup. oh and of course Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...." LMAO!!!

OMGoddess! Mr. Roger's Neighborhood....& his piano & his cardigans; he's so soft-spoken.....He's been on for decades! My son watches him now ( & I guess I must admit, so do I...sometimes
winks.gif
Sure brings me back!

Quote:
Oh and ^ I totally remember those little plastic shirt thingys, yep mine was lime green!! not sure if there was a point other than to really make sure you had something to remember the 80s by....
This is fun! lol

You wrote that so well!..."...not sure if there was a point other than to really make sure you had something to remember the 80s by...."

Was PeeWee Herman in the 80's ???

lizardprincesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Some of the things I remember are:

huge shoulder pads
feather earings
lots & lots of bangle bracelets
Dynasty, Dallas
The Weather Girls ... It's Raining Men
Billy Idol ... Rebel Yell, Dancing With Myself, White Wedding
The Sugar Hill Gang ... Rapper's Delight
The B52's .... Rock Lobster, Private Idaho
Boy George
The Ramones
The Kinks
Poison
Bon Jovi
White Snake
Journey
Meatloaf's Paradise By The Dashboard Lights

Ooooh, yes!! ( Confession: I *still* love shoulder-pads (but not usually such huge ones as then.) I like the silhouette they give...hourglassy... I've never followed fashion trends too well, I don't think...but I love my clothes
smiles.gif

The Meatloaf song, tho.....wasn't it earlier than the 80's? It holds a nasty memory for me. I can't bear to listen to it
ssad.gif

All the other Music you mentioned, tho...oh, yeah!
yahoo.gif

lizardprincesa

Not enough.
winks.gif
A decade shouldn't *be* so blurry, as the 80's are in my mind...but alot happened... I do remember Mostly Music (New Wave, Punk, (spiked, bright neon hair with aforementioned AquaNet Extra Super Hold)...Blondie! Madonna, as so many have mentioned, & "Like A Virgin" video...

Black Lace dresses & the fingerless lace gloves (somebody mentioned...)

A semi-hippy boyfriend with a rainbow-colored shirt & his kitty, his Art, his friends, & their friend, James Bong
winks.gif

In 1983 (?), I dropped a bottle of ketchup on my foot & got cut - still have a scar! Everything was RED & I was screaming! (I was listening to Kate Bush's LionHeart, then. I know she wasn't too well-known here.....
kate3.JPG

Kate Bush @ Paradise Place - Discography.

exept maybe for Hounds Of Love, (Kate is our Muse)...& lots of other MUSIC!.
Fabulous post. I'm sure I'll be remembering 80's stuff all NIght...
On a sadder note, aforementioned by another lovely Specktrite ...
How sad that so many people became HIV infected
in the 80's, including a beloved friend, who became an advocate, a muscle-man, & survived until 2007, with his partner of 20+ yrs...I know he had alot of beautiful 80's memories, too, tho...sigh...
Brian, RIP, may your beautiful soul soar....

the 80's..............

MAC_Whore

Wow. Let me shake the cranium and see what falls out....

• Wearing loads of black rubber bracelets.
  • Swatch watches. I loved my Keith Haring swatch.
  • Wham!
  • My asymetrical hair cut that was razored in the back
  • Going to see a concert where the Beastie Boys opened for Madonna. I still have the Beastie Boys tee.
  • Learning to drive
  • The Cosby Show and Growing Pains
  • Mini skirts
  • My first job
  • Losing my virginity
  • Wearing red lipstick in high school

The eighties were such a fugly decade.

Enkuli

I was kind of eveningstar of my family and my sister and I have 10 yer age difference when my brother is 15 years older. They lived their youth in late 80's when I just rolled aroun on the floor sayin boogah. But I do still have some memories from the time I was like 4 or 5. My sister had this horrible huge hair and my brother had almos similas hair. They could have been twins
th_LMAO.gif
They both had huge clothes and I'm so lucky to have some grazy old photos from that. They look so stupid and I'm so happy that 90's fashion wasn't so bad. Well let the years pas and on someday my kids are going to make fun on 90' clothes
tong.gif

sinergy

I remember Jem and the Holograms
jem2.gif
, my fave cartoon of all time next to She Ra
thSheraTransformationAni.gif
!! Aqua Net and Rave Hairspray, Dont Worry be Happy Tee shirts, The Princess Bride, The Goonies...Simon says, Rubicks cube...the list goes on and on...=)

d n d

I'm sure I am going to repeat some things but this is what I remember:

Fashion
Parachute Pants
The leather pants with all the zippers on them
The "Micheal Jackson" jackets with zippers all over
The MC Hammer phase, Mc Hammer pants
The Gumby Hair cut with big blonde highlights in the front
Spandex pants and shorts with the big fluorescent detailing
People wearing the tank top with the ripped t-shirt over it
ripped jeans
leg warmers
The tights with the lace at the bottom
doubling up socks to match your outfit
rediculously loud shirts with crazy patterns
British Knight shoes
Those black shiny shoes with the metal tip that everyone wore with their MC Hammer Pants. lol
People wearing shower caps in public to preserve their hairdo
Frosted jeans
Friendship bracelets ( I loved making those!)
friendship necklaces where you gave someone the key part of the necklace and you kept the heart
jelly bracelets
Big teased bangs with lots of hairspray
Stirrup pants
Door knocker earrings

Other:
Garbage Pail kids (they still have those ya know!)
Malibu Barbie and her friend Tropical Mico
Gem and the Holograms
Muppet Babies cartoon
Brat Pack movies
Who's the Boss tv show
My Two Dads tv show
Judy Bloom books

I'd could go on and on......

fash10nista

Hmm, let's see...I was overseas at a boarding school so trends there may not reflect what was here in the U.S. but I can remember:

Fashion:
High-top Reeboks w/ legwarmers
plenty of rubber and plastic bracelets/bangles
teased up to there hair (Aquanet anyone? lol)
Members Only jackets (had several, including a reversible pink/teal one)
Folded up shirt sleeves and tight jeans
Jelly sandals
fingerless gloves
woven ribbon barrettes
Sweet Honesty perfume from Avon

Colors! Everything was colored: brights, pastels, neon, black...

Music: Def Leppard, Journey, Air Supply, The Cure, Tears for Fears, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Blondie, Erasure, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Billy Idol, The Go-Go's, etc....I can go on forever...
bigheart.gif
80's music!!!
Cassette tapes!!!! lol....Anybody remember the Walkman?

TV Shows: Silver Spoon, ALF, Dukes of Hazzard, ChiPs, Greatest American Hero (love the theme song! "Believe or not, I'm wallking on air..."), The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, MacGyver (My absolute fave show!) and Who's the Boss?

Toys: Rainbow Brite, Care Bears, Poochie

Cartoons: He-Man, She-Ra, Voltron, Voltes V, GI Joe, Thundercats (also another fave!), original Transformers, Jem and the Holograms, original Scooby-Doo

vandael

- adventures of the gummi bears (they lived in friggin' trees! LOL)
- reading rainbow
- kangaROOS with the dope ass pockets (i bought a pair when they made a comeback a few years back)
- bob ross gettin' his paint on
- permed bangs (i had them in kindergarten. LOL)
- HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPOS!
- back to the future and the de lorean
- playing ms. pac man
- ch-ch-ch-chia! chia pets!
- the karate kid (ralph macchio was cuuuuuute)
- learning to ride on my brother's hand-me-down he-man bike
- friendship bracelets
- chicken mcnuggets
smiles.gif

- the police academy (esp. the guy that made sound effects)

panther27

^^I totally remenber all of that!And reading rainbow-I loved that shoe.I still love Journey to this day.