Pet Makeup Peeves

Jacq-i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyarorain
(I'm so so tempted to post pictures of my younger sisters friends haha)

I'm actually trying ot picture this, lol.

GothicGirl

You guys make me wanna cry sometimes...Stop thrashing the goths! If it´s not your thing, it´s not...But seriously...I see you complain a lot about black eyeshadow, or black eyeliner, but if badly applied, ANY color will look awful...And so on...

cno64

Quote:

That sounds AWFUL!
You have my deepest sympathy, over here in the southern U.S.
Let's hope that your sister doesn't catch whatever is infecting her friends.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicGirl
I see you complain a lot about black eyeshadow, or black eyeliner, but if badly applied, ANY color will look awful...And so on...

I agree that any color, if poorly applied, has the potential to look really wretched. Blue eyeshadow has earned a few mentions in this thread. I think black is named so often not because it's goth, but because it's so easy to do badly.
I wear black liner, and I'm a 42-year-old Baptist.
I take great pains to put my liner on in very thin lines, close to my lash line, and to get it on smoothly.
Black is unforgiving; if you mess up with it, everybody knows.
I like it because it goes with everything, and does a nice job of defining my eyes and making my lashes look thicker.
I don't know how I could get by without my Blacktrack!

knoxydoll

It's probably already been said and I know I've fallen victim to it many times, but my pet peeve is when the mascara isn't all the way to the bottom of the lashes and you can see where the eyeshadow fell ontop of the lashes.
To me it just ruins a look, espcially when the eyeshadow looks great it just makes you look unfinished, like you were in a rush.

Another pet peeve of mine is when girls are late because they spend so much time in the morning getting ready. I have a friend who doesn't leave the house with out mu inless she's in a car and going to my house. I don't know how many times she has made me late for appoinments, special events and the sort. We were late for our own prom because of her, and almost missed our flights to Hawaii because of her. Plus I HATE HATE HATE being late it's not a mu pet peeve but it's definately one of my biggest pet peeves, it's very rude and very disrespectful.

summer6310

heavy foundation that looks like white mask, unblended blush lines, strong eye makeup with strong lips... those are the big NO NO for me.

Dark_Phoenix

The wrong undertone of foundation.
Yellow skintone = yellow foundation
Pink skintone = pink/neutral foundation

And never ever peach foundation, ick... my friends kept putting on peach maybelline foundation junk that looked just terrible. We went to the mall last week and we all had foundation mixed @ Prescriptives (sorry, i think they're better at foundation then MAC).

wordshlut

Quote:
Okey I really need to get this off my chest, I posted earlier that if people want to follow ugly trends they can but this new one soooo baaaad

Okey I live in Sweden and I'm 16, and I've noticed a new trend here with the younger "popular" girls. (Say 12-16)

Okey. First off... They look hideous.

They all bleach their hair until it's white, white. This without considering if the white would match their skintone, which it never ever does.
They tease the hair to build volume, and this can be done nicely of course <3teasing, but no. They just tease tease tease, fix with two bottles of spray and let it sit like that.

Also the super long hair has become a big trend here. But, since they're 13 they can't afford a hair extension that looks good so most do homemade ones, and again this can be done nice, but it looks like they just glued yarn into their hair. wtf?

Now to the make up. ORANGE foundation. I seriously don't get why anyone would actually want to look orange.
At first I thought they they all had spent to much time at the tanning salon but no, they actually put that on their face.

Okey so blush, unblended of course. And in a really deep dark red, or glittery bronzer. And with their orange skin they just look dirty.

For the eyes? Eyeliner smeared around the eye, of course they didn't take the time to smudge it. So much mascara it doesn't even look like spiderlegs because there aren't enough lashes. More like one big monolash. And then frosty, sparkly white eyeshadow from lashline to brow. Yeah that really opens up your eyes girls.

And as for lips, the pale lips has become a trend here aswell, but I think they misunderstood it. They all use idomin on their lips, a thick cream from the pharmacy made for dry areas.
Okey I guess, they take care of their lips. But you can apply it without it showing but they of course layer it until the lips become white.

And yeah, to look like a true popular young girl in Sweden apply your make up like this, put on a really cute tanktop, nice boots, and some ugly, dirty sweatpants.

Voila, done.

pretty please post pictures (!) !!!

msmack

yes yes! i agree ! post some pictures! my #1 mu peeve is when girls have horribly dry skin and then put their foundation on anyways *like its going to hide the patches!* i think not, ladies! moisturize moisturize moisturize! #2 as a previous poster said *when eyeshadow gets on top of lashes* awful! #3 i have a boss whos vision isnt so good and everyday for the last 4 years she has come to work looking a mess because she can't see herself when she puts on eye make-up... i am talkin big raccoony, purple/blue shadows all over the place... a mess! thats all i can think of now...
smiles.gif

something just dawned on me: it must be hard for girls who wear glasses to put on eye make-up if you need the glasses to see what your doing! never thought of that before...

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer6310
strong eye makeup with strong lips... those are the big NO NO for me.

For me anyhow, it depends on the definition of "strong."
I will wear red or fuchsia lips with fully "done" eyes, but the eyes are done in soft neutral tones, like taupes, browns, or soft greys.
Personally, I look strange with pale lips and fully made-up eyes.
I look like I was in a hurry, or just forgot to do part of my makeup.
To each his/her own!

emilyjoy

I guess everyone here hates the dark eye/light lip look. But I use it all the time. It's a great look if done correctly I think. The problem is that too many girls try to 'overdo' it because they're too used to wearing a bit too much color.
Anyhow.

My pet peeves:
Dark Lipliner w/lighter lips: Omfg. This has already been posted like 1,000 times, but with good reason. It doesn't define. It doesn't make your lips look bigger. It makes you look like trash.

Too much color on the wrong occasion: Bright eyeshadows are fun if you know how to use them, but for God's sake, please don't wear them to school or work. Oh, and keep the rest of your makeup natural looking. No one looks good with bright red lips and yellow/green/purple/bright blue/whatever on the eyes.

White foundation: I've been on the other side where I'm actually white enough to wear them and it MATCHES. lol. It's not something you want girls.

Pretty girls with no makeup: I mean no make up. One of my bff's from back in the day no longer wears makeup. Like, ever. Even at her wedding. It just makes me sad when a girl like 'gives up' on looking pretty. And that's my number one pet peeve because at least the girls that do the things on my above list are trying.

Calhoune

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordshlut
pretty please post pictures (!) !!!

1cd8a808d5e54819bcf1cbaam9.jpg

072dc14eed3e436b9127844ij5.jpg

It was harder then I tought to find pictures in color, these girls seems to enjoy black and white. But kudos to these for going light on the blush <3
It's not just the light. THEY ARE ORANGE. Yes they're all 12-14
smiles.gif

Ambi

Thanks for telling they really are that orange, I was about to adjust my monitor colors
greengrin.gif
Seems like you Swedes have even crazier trends, in Finland the goth style is "in" right now and we're not really into tanning at all so you don't see people like that a lot [thank god!], us Scandinavians can't really pull off the crazy and bold/dark colors but what's even uglier is that 'tan skin/blonde hair/tons of black eyeliner' look :spy:

charzz

oh gosh... it's like they've taken over the japanese kogal look! which, in my humble opinion, is never ever a good look on people.

my biggest pet peeves are probably really caked on foundation, really overarched eyebrows, sloppy eyeshadow.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyjoy

Pretty girls with no makeup: I mean no make up. One of my bff's from back in the day no longer wears makeup. Like, ever. Even at her wedding. It just makes me sad when a girl like 'gives up' on looking pretty. And that's my number one pet peeve because at least the girls that do the things on my above list are trying.

That bugs me, as well. A day at home with a bare face is one thing, but never, ever making the effort just looks unfinished.
If you can't wear makeup because of medical issues, you can't help that.
Ditto if your religious beliefs forbid the use of makeup.
But if you "just don't know how to put it on," there are people who can show you how. It's not that difficult, I promise.

Dark_Phoenix

Quote:
1cd8a808d5e54819bcf1cbaam9.jpg

072dc14eed3e436b9127844ij5.jpg

It was harder then I tought to find pictures in color, these girls seems to enjoy black and white. But kudos to these for going light on the blush <3
It's not just the light. THEY ARE ORANGE. Yes they're all 12-14
smiles.gif

It looks ALOT like Ganguro ((Ganguro Info). Ickers. Not cute on them at all.

Calhoune

Yeah I know! Ganguro was my first thought, but they're ganguro without the cute. And with some extra bimbo on the side.

cno64

These girls are making a conscious effort to look the way they do.
Many of the "peeves" cited in this thread are (I hope) the unintentional results of carelessness.
Surely nobody goes around with mismatched foundation on purpose ...